Skip to main content

My Winter Internship Experience

In all honesty I had no recollection of there ever being a 701CCA before I began interning here. In fact, I barely knew anything about the arts community in Columbia during my three years at USC -- surprising for a Media Arts major. Though had I not taken advantage of an extra credit opportunity for one of my classes last semester, I don't think I would have stumbled across this space, or the inspiring community that makes 701 so great. 

My first visit to 701 happened by chance -- I had been offered an extra credit assignment for my New Media Art class after reviewing installation art the week prior. My professor notified the class about an upcoming exhibition for the current artist in residence at that time (Brittany Watkins, an incredibly talented artist) being held that week and encouraged whoever was interested to attend. I decided that I had nothing better to do, and so my friend and I took up Professor Chi's offer on the chance to come and see the artist talk about her exhibition. It. Was. Amazing. I remember looking at Luis and saying, "We need to volunteer here," and we were on the schedule not even a week after. For the next week or so, Luis and I helped with uninstalling the gallery space; not really paying attention to how much time had passed -- we were both too busy gushing over Brittany's glasses while using a hairdryer to peel vinyl off the floor. Volunteering also gave me the opportunity to meet the director, Hannah Shepard, whom I consider myself so grateful to have worked with.          

I admit that I had no idea what to expect when Hannah accepted me as one of her interns, I just knew that I was excited; the hype was there -- or maybe I was still living through Andy Sachs after watching The Devil Wears Prada the night before. The more I learned from her about 701, the more I realized what being a part of the gallery involved. We were given various projects to work on throughout our time here that challenged us while participating equally in working for events (my favorite part), managing social media content, helping install for upcoming exhibitions, and working alongside various artists.   

Working here alongside Hannah and the other interns not only made me feel like I was contributing to something larger than myself, but that I gained a sense of family among my place here as a 701 intern and volunteer. It was such a valuable opportunity and I enjoyed every moment of it. Knowing what I know now, I have gained a stronger appreciation for contemporary art, and have come to admire the amount of dedication and  passionate a community of people are willing to demonstrate to make this experience a memorable one.   



-William Craig III



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter at 701 CCA During the winter break of 18-19, I interned at 701 CCA.  Hannah Shepard, being the only paid employee and the director, is the mom and the dad of the art center. Everything 701 CCA related is her baby, and I am so glad I could be a part of the journey during the two too-short months.  There were a few things going on during this time period. The gallery was closed to the public for a period of time so that we could all deinstall the exhibiting items and put the new ones in. That was my favorite time. It was a process that transforms a space from telling one story to another. Mood and emotions changed as the objects, and even lightings changed.  I had my best afternoon here in the gallery during that time.  It was the first week of the new semester, and I was scheduled from 11-2. The installation was about 80 percent finished. During the shift there was plenty of physical and mental labor-- moving, painting and hanging objects around to follow Jan

My Spring 2019 Internship!

My 701 CCA Experience When Hannah offered me the position as one of the spring interns for 701 CCA, I was so excited. At the first intern meeting in February, I met the other two interns, Cole and Erich, and we discussed what we would be working on during the next several months. I was happy to hear that there were opportunities to try different things regarding installation, marketing and social media, and events. During the first week of the internship, I worked to organize the preexisting donor database that was a compilation of records and documents from the past ten years of 701 CCA. Over the next few weeks, I learned how to use MailChimp, post 701 CCA events on local online calendars, draft content for the youth summer workshops and more. I learned a lot about the day to day communications that are essential to the organization.   The next project that I worked on was helping Hannah install the South Arts 2019 Southern Prize and State Fellows exhibit

Spring 2019 Internship

I was really happy to have the opportunity to work here as I had heard things about it from friends who volunteered for a long time. Being in the space and getting to work with the install and uninstall process was something that I was looking forward to the most and proved to be as rewarding of an experience as I hoped it would be. Getting to come in and help put up art by real recognized artists and meeting people in the arts community was something I wasn’t expecting to happen as much as it did. Actually being able to talk to these people doing this work professionally is something that helped me to appreciate just how much goes into these organizations and the process overall. Working here was also a good thing for my resume. Personally, it gave me time to create professional designs and to hone my skills with website design. Being able to be the one to redesign the 701 press packet, relatively soon to the time I started, was assuring that I would truly gain experience. I als