Skip to main content

Summer at 701 CCA

701 Center for Contemporary Art has been working nonstop all summer to create a series of fun, interactive, and educational experiences when it comes to the art world. 701 CCA held a concert, an artist talk, two receptions and exhibitions, and, by the end of the summer, held six kids workshops. This internship truly has been such an eye-opening experience, and each of us has gained so much knowledge in several areas in the art world. I never will take for granted just strolling into a gallery now and seeing all the artwork, and not appreciate all the labor that goes into how the artwork just "appears" there. This summer has been quite a whirlwind, but working for a nonprofit art gallery has truly been rewarding. I really have enjoyed knowing I have played a role, even if it may be a small one, in someone else's enjoyment, education, and entertainment. I hope the pictures below give you a small insight into the behind the scenes of our internship so far this summer.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter at 701 CCA During the winter break of 18-19, I interned at 701 CCA.  Hannah Shepard, being the only paid employee and the director, is the mom and the dad of the art center. Everything 701 CCA related is her baby, and I am so glad I could be a part of the journey during the two too-short months.  There were a few things going on during this time period. The gallery was closed to the public for a period of time so that we could all deinstall the exhibiting items and put the new ones in. That was my favorite time. It was a process that transforms a space from telling one story to another. Mood and emotions changed as the objects, and even lightings changed.  I had my best afternoon here in the gallery during that time.  It was the first week of the new semester, and I was scheduled from 11-2. The installation was about 80 percent finished. During the shift there was plenty of physical and mental labor-- moving, painting and hanging objects around to follow Jan

My Spring 2019 Internship!

My 701 CCA Experience When Hannah offered me the position as one of the spring interns for 701 CCA, I was so excited. At the first intern meeting in February, I met the other two interns, Cole and Erich, and we discussed what we would be working on during the next several months. I was happy to hear that there were opportunities to try different things regarding installation, marketing and social media, and events. During the first week of the internship, I worked to organize the preexisting donor database that was a compilation of records and documents from the past ten years of 701 CCA. Over the next few weeks, I learned how to use MailChimp, post 701 CCA events on local online calendars, draft content for the youth summer workshops and more. I learned a lot about the day to day communications that are essential to the organization.   The next project that I worked on was helping Hannah install the South Arts 2019 Southern Prize and State Fellows exhibit

Spring 2019 Internship

I was really happy to have the opportunity to work here as I had heard things about it from friends who volunteered for a long time. Being in the space and getting to work with the install and uninstall process was something that I was looking forward to the most and proved to be as rewarding of an experience as I hoped it would be. Getting to come in and help put up art by real recognized artists and meeting people in the arts community was something I wasn’t expecting to happen as much as it did. Actually being able to talk to these people doing this work professionally is something that helped me to appreciate just how much goes into these organizations and the process overall. Working here was also a good thing for my resume. Personally, it gave me time to create professional designs and to hone my skills with website design. Being able to be the one to redesign the 701 press packet, relatively soon to the time I started, was assuring that I would truly gain experience. I als