Skip to main content

My time spent at the 701 CCA...


Hello! My name is Brianna, and this is the last week of my fall internship at the 701 Center for Contemporary Art and it has been an amazing ride! I’ll be finishing my BA in Art History this semester as well and when I was thinking about ways to start approaching my career, I realized I wanted hands on experience in a local gallery before I jumped right in. I thought this internship program would be the best fit because it’s a non-profit organization with a committed group of helpers and beautiful artworks. The environment at the 701 CCA made me feel comfortable with gallery guests, talking freely with them about art. The director Hannah and the volunteers really love their work here and having that kind of environment makes you want to participate to your best ability.
I was so nervous when I first started, so unsure of how it was going to work out but at every turn I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a hands-on person and all the tasks available made things so exciting for me. I got the opportunity to write press releases and a media advisory and so many other tasks it would be silly to list them all. This program makes the interns feel important and valuable and I really appreciate that they were willing to hear all my ideas.
I recommend the 701 Center for Contemporary Art internship program to anyone interested in getting that personalized experience. Also, don’t think that this internship only applies to one job field. Yes, I’m an Art major but what I found through this whole experience is that this type of program bridges different trades and jobs. My fellow intern, a marketing major, created and developed all kinds of material for the organization which I had never realized they would need. 
Bottom line is, on my last day here I’m looking back at this experience fondly. I am so happy with all the new things I got to try and experience while I was here. It went by faster than I realized and now I wish it could last a little longer...

Favorites:
Install day and Deinstall day!
These were my absolute favorite days of the week! I want to be a curator someday so being able to get into the gallery, break things down, re-arrange, paint and organize was a dream job for me.

10 Year Anniversary:
I helped to plan the 10-year anniversary and it gave me the opportunity to come up with ideas which was a real confidence booster for me. To see how the project developed over planning to execution was a rewarding experience.

Tips:
Be honest about what you want to do!
Everyone at the 701 CCA want to help you develop your ideas and apply them. So, don’t be afraid to try some new project! Try writing your first press release, meet an artist and help them install their work, or even develop a social media network. This program can be so beneficial if you only ask!

Do your research!
If a new artist is coming in check out their work, look at their bio, and their artist statements. This helps you throughout the process whether you must write about an exhibition or you must explain something to a guest. It’s always better to know and you’ll grow to appreciate how much effort and thought goes into every piece these artists create.

Favorite artworks during internship:  
 
Carey Morton

 
Brittany Watkins

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Interns

Our first intern is Rachel Saran! She is currently a student at University of South Carolina studying Philosophy and Art History. Rachel first got experience at 701 CCA by volunteering through the installation of the SC Fellows exhibit. Her focused interests in the intersection of law, philosophy, and art have allowed her to work on different behind-the-scenes projects at 701 CCA involved in the logistics of running a gallery. Rachel's interests in the operational tasks around the gallery have given her a chance to work with the installations, policies and grants, and assisting in operating events and receptions! Rachel hopes to continue to volunteer at 701 CCA past the expiration of the internship, as she feels that 701 CCA has afforded her uniquely important learning experiences she can carry through her career. Megan Roe is our second intern.  Megan is currently studying Art History at the University of South Carolina.  Megan first became involved with 701 CCA through v

Summer Internship at 701 CCA

Summer Internship at 701 CCA My summer spent interning with 701 Center for Contemporary Art has been a valuable learning experience. It was very rewarding to work with a nonprofit organization that emphasizes the importance of contemporary art and its role in the community. The ability to complete unique and wide-ranging projects within the organization is what I enjoyed most about the internship. It was exciting to be completing useful and necessary projects, rather than just busy-work. Throughout the internship, I have gained experience in many different fields relating to marketing, research, and gallery management.  Installing Mana Hewitt: Persistence My marketing projects included press releases, social media marketing, graphic design, and website development. One of my favorite marketing projects was designing a new business card for 701 CCA and fliers for our youth summer camps, as it gave me the opportunity to utilize my photoshop skills for professional use. I a

My Spring 2019 Internship!

My 701 CCA Experience When Hannah offered me the position as one of the spring interns for 701 CCA, I was so excited. At the first intern meeting in February, I met the other two interns, Cole and Erich, and we discussed what we would be working on during the next several months. I was happy to hear that there were opportunities to try different things regarding installation, marketing and social media, and events. During the first week of the internship, I worked to organize the preexisting donor database that was a compilation of records and documents from the past ten years of 701 CCA. Over the next few weeks, I learned how to use MailChimp, post 701 CCA events on local online calendars, draft content for the youth summer workshops and more. I learned a lot about the day to day communications that are essential to the organization.   The next project that I worked on was helping Hannah install the South Arts 2019 Southern Prize and State Fellows exhibit